Laneway Locations City of Toronto By-law 810-2018
Updated: Sep 28, 2021
What are Laneway Suites?
A laneway suite is a self-contained residential unit located on the same lot as a detached house, semi-detached house or townhouse, and generally located in the rear yard next to a laneway.
Laneway suites are generally smaller in scale and completely detached from the main house on the lot.
Laneway suites may provide new rental housing opportunities within established neighbourhoods, providing a wider range of low-density housing options while enhancing neighbourhood and community character. For information Purposes Only. E and O E
City of Toronto By-law 810-2018
CITY OF TORONTO BY-LAW 810-2018
To amend Zoning By-law 569-2013, as amended, to permit laneway suites.
Whereas Council of the City of Toronto has the authority pursuant to Section 34 of the Planning Act, R.S.O. 1990, c. P.13, as amended, to pass this By-law; and Whereas Council of the City of Toronto has provided adequate information to the public and has held at least one public meeting in accordance with the Planning Act; The Council of the City of Toronto enacts:
1. The lands subject to this By-law are outlined by heavy black lines as identified on Diagram 1 attached to this By-law.
2. The words highlighted in bold type in this By-law have the meaning provided in Zoning By-law 569-2013, Chapter 800 Definitions.
3. Zoning By-law 569-2013, as amended, is further amended by adding a new definition in Chapter 800.50 so that it reads: Laneway Suite means a self-contained living accommodation for a person or persons living together as a separate single housekeeping unit, in which both food preparation and sanitary facilities are provided for the exclusive use of the occupants of the suite and is in an ancillary building abutting a lane.
4. Zoning By-law 569-2013, as amended, is further amended by adding to Section
10.10.20.20 (1), the use Laneway Suite (19) after the use 'Home Occupation (6)'.
5. Zoning By-law 569-2013, as amended, is further amended by adding to Section 10.10.20.100 a new regulation (19), after regulation 18 so that it reads: (19) Laneway Suite A laneway suite in the R zone must comply with the specific use regulations in Section 150.8.
6. Zoning By-law 569-2013, as amended, is further amended by inserting Section 150.8, Laneway Suites, so that it reads: